Around and about: A trip to Awka, Friday, 6/9/24; … Regarding Idiotic-Stupidity - Ik Muo, PhD.

 

       Celebrating fuel at N885, Roban’s bread, emerging traveling model

On 6th of September, 2024, I went to Awka. It is not what you think! I did not go to Agu-Awka to ‘hussle’ for a contract,  or for an executive handshake with the Governor, or to endorse any of the  candidates or any of the factions of APGA. I  accompanied my youngest child for a business at  Clinix Healthcare and you know the type of business an ordinary fellow would have with Clinix.  Note that Nd’Igbo do not have ‘last child’  because there is always a possibility  and high probability of accidental discharge or afterthought product! As a background,  I had bought N50000 worth of fuel  two days earlier(4/9/24) at N998/ltr. It barley covered a half of  the car tank, which contained some  fuel before that transaction. This evidenced the fact that fuelling a car  had become a capital budgeting decision which requires capital allocation  techniques, like IRR and NPV. The price of fuel had moved from N750 to N770,  and then leaped to N998, to N1100 and then N1200 per litre! These movements occurred within a week while the last three happened within 36 hours. The ‘peoples’ retail outlets’, were selling at N1300!  I had gone to  Unizik Teaching Hospital Nnewi  on 5/9/24 and by the time  I got to Awka, less than 1 hour travel time,  my fuel gauge was  telling me unpleasant  story.  I have never been  hypertensive  but my heart was dancing gwo-gwo-gwon-gwo anytime I watched the fuel gauge. And driving became more danger-prone as I was studiously watching the fuel gauge, rather than the road and the side or front mirrors. I had been window-shopping at all fuel-stations along the road  to see if I could get a good bargain but  the  damn thing was selling at N1100 averagely!

 Anyway, I got to Awka. Not much happened along the road apart from  an interaction with our friends( or fiends) in uniform, and people and machines working furiously on Dubai-Taiwan expressway from Amawbia  to Ekwulobia . I got to the Clinix   at  Ekwueme Road and we finished after about 2 hours. They then gave us three options on how to collect the outcomes: wait for another 3 hours, come back the following day or submit  details for online collection. Waiting for three more hours, after already consuming 2 hours, was dreary and returning to Awka with  BATified fuel( which appears to be combusting at  faster than ever before) was a no-no option. So, we opted for Option A3. But rather than collect the details from us, they asked that we should wait a little  bit more. My mind now went to the fuel gauge sitrep and I decided to try my luck at NNPC, rather than burning my  expensive man-hours, idling away at Clinix. On my way, I  noticed the signboard of Roban Stores and decided to  go search  of Hollandia milk, which I was persuaded had  minimal sugar content.

 When I got to the expansive Roban Stores, the one-serve pack was out of stock and I decided to leave. My nostril was however invaded by the aroma from the bakery  axis and I decided to buy just one loaf of sliced bread.  I insist on sliced bread because it helps in portion-control since  I would  be sure of  the quantity  passing through my throat. Even at that, my pro-bono dietician must not hear that I got near  a slice of bread or sachet of milk. Please, do not tell her! I learnt that the loaf of bread went for N1600. N1600 in these hard times for an average sized loaf of bread? I looked at it again and noticed that it appeared smaller  than the free-form ones. I also remembered that  my preferred loaf when I visited Aba last( Irish Sandwich), appeared bigger and was for just N1000.  However, it doesn’t have the Roban stamp! Anyway, haven  gotten to the place, I decided to buy it. When I got to the pay-point, I met some people who appeared not to know that we were in an era of TINIBUlation, given  the quantity of  this and that they bought. I calculated that it would take me almost 1 hour to pay for a loaf of bread and I was tempted to drop it and  adopt the walk away option. However, I was led by the Spirit to plead with  two young ladies  before me in the queue  to allow me to ‘shunt’  and  they  graciously agreed. I thanked them profusely, especially the one  directly at the pay-point. The cashier then billed me N1650 and that was where the ‘troblem’ started. I  sparked, asking  her why she wanted to swindle me  N50 in these BATified times and she said it was stamp duty! Stamp Duty on a loaf of bread? I grudgingly paid and  asked her to  take note of my face because I would be back over the N50 matter. Ordinary  N50? Yes! I had once deployed DHL to send a protest-letter against Hallmark Bank at Marina, Lagos.  The amount in dispute was N100 but the DHL cost N1000  to deliver the letter to a location that was less than 500 metres from my office at ESUT Business School but I did not mind! So, Please, Mazi Zacchaeus at FIRS and Dr  Greg at AIRS hould please affirm or disaffirm that N50 stamp duty for a loaf of bread is in order and I will take it up from there. I eventually saw the milk in question elsewhere at N250 per sachet, something that went for N50 the other day! The last time I bought it, the carton price was N125 apiece.  And the content has received a 50% haircut! You can go and verify!!  Yet, some people are telling us that inflation is heading downwards.

Stamp Duty on bread; liquid sachet at N250

After the distraction by Robans, I went to NNPC. On my way, I came across a Rainoil station, and I wanted to see if their prices were more OBIdient so that I would abort the trip and save myself the stress and manpower cost of queueing for hours at NNPC. But there was not much difference between their price and what was obtainable at Igbo-Ukwu and so, to NNPC I went. I joined the queue, which  was mercifully briefer than what it was earlier in the day. I  checked the TOR( time of arrival) and the EToD( Expected Time of Departure), and bought a handful of boiled groundnuts with a bottle of water to keep me busy for the arduous task. Surprisingly, in less than 40 minutes, I was being served at N885/Ltr. I filled my car-tank to the brim and  pleaded with the pump attendant to help me with fuel for my gen but was informed it was against the policy.  I begged,  cajoled, coaxed, dramatized,  explained the distance   I had covered to Awka, and asked her to pour the generator-fuel into my pockets since I could not carry my generator from IgboUkwu to Awka! Eventually,  the  resolve of pump-attendant melted and I bought some extra litres for my generator and  all came  at the  humongous cost of N71000!. Remember that I had bought for N50000 two days previously.

I didn’t bother when she told me that they charged N100 per POS patronage. NNPC charging N100 for POS? Anyway, I was so elated, and smiled like somebody who had just won a lottery. Why not; the gap between what I paid and what I would have paid at Igbo-Ukwu was N25000 at the filling stations and about N40000 at the white  market! I did not want to remember that it was N197/ltr at the onset of BATification. I rather chose to remember that it was 1200 a t Igbo-Ukwu. It is all about attitude. I was also lucky that no policemen stopped me on my way back because it is now  an offence to have a full tank of fuel: You must explain the source of income that funded such an expensive venture!!! Meanwhile at Port Harcourt , ‘I ka o n’adu’( where it  is supposed to abound), fuel sold at 1350 as at 7/9/24 and at Aba, it was 1400 as at 11/9/24.My business at Clinix and the fuel I bought within 48 hours were jointly more than  N50% of my Band-A salary. It is a sign of the times because my salary has received a haircut of up to 70%  in real terms in the last  15 months. If in doubt, go and verify or go to court!!!

 As I write, the generator fuel has gone down by 30% and the car gauge  has  moved towards 40% This is because I was at my Sabbatical School, Chukwu Emeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University,  Igbariam ( from OOU to COOU!!!) on 10/9/23 and had  earlier restricted  my generator usage  to 3 hours maximum, daily. This is worrisome! I have considered my options. I would have gone back to Awka, this time specifically for fuel. But there is no certainty as to whether there would be fuel that day or if they would deploy only one dispenser, a regular practice of our  downstream  people whenever there is scarcity, or what the road would be like including kidnap probability. Furthermore, having spent  N120000 on fuel in the past 1 week, I needed to ask myself some SERIOUS questions. Most important, I don’t have a petroleum storage and distribution license  from NUPRC and I don’t want to be accused of economic crimes and to become a customer of the recently reenergised and hyperactive DSS! Somebody had advised me to sell my spare-tyre and use the proceeds to buy fuel. I agreed with him but asked him what I would do when the fuel-deity required my financial attention in the subsequent  few days. That is what we are still discussing as I write!

 By the way, I am still awaiting the advice from my tax friends on the N50 stamp duty for a loaf of bread. I am also engaging an Advertising guru to collect my charges from ALL the brands mentioned in this column. Because it is after-effect billing, I will offer a generous commission of 50% to anyone who would undertake the job

  Other Matters

 1)A new  classification of humanity and a new definition of stupidity

Pat Utomi has just given us a new definition of STUPIDITY. The copyright however  belongs to  Carlo M  Cipolla who defines a stupid person as somebody   who causes harm to others, even when he does not benefit from that action and may even suffer losses thereby. He then goes on to propound the 5 laws of stupidity:1 We always underestimate the number of stupid people in circulation.2: the probability of stupidity is independent of other characteristics like education and wealth;3 the stupid person supporting actions that harm others may not think of personal benefits from such actions 4: non-stupid people underestimate the danger of associating with stupid people and that underestimation will eventually impact on them negatively.5: The stupid person is  the most dangerous person, often more dangerous than bandits. As a corollary to this, Cipolla classified humans into four: The intelligent (who pursue win-win options by  taking actions that benefit themselves and others, bandits (who benefit themselves by harming others) unfortunate( who do harm while trying to  do good) and the stupid who seek harm to others without benefiting from it.  We all remember the Greek  tripartite typology of idiots (who think of themselves alone) tribesmen( who think and emphatise with others along parochial lines like race, language, religion) and citizens( who respect human dignity, and seek all the good for all the men all the time). If you combine all these, you will understand why Pat argued in ‘the danger of stupid idiots’, that the most harmful to the society is a person who is  idiotically stupid or stupidly idiotic!!

 2)Optimising  a Vehicle’s  FVPT

Owing to the excruciating  fuel scarcity and cost, this fellow decided to optimise the vehicles FVPT( Financial Value Per Trip). He forgot that some of his regular friends were waiting on the highway. They are  still negotiating the sharing formular for the estimated FVPT and they have engaged me as a consultant. However, my sympathy lies with the vehicle, which was denied any iota of justice and dignity and the driver thinking about school fees and chop-money at home. I need your advice on how I should advise them!

3: BATs scorecard

 I now agree that BAT has done  WONDERfully well. I align with the views of onemindxgram on this matter. Please ignore my previous views on the subject matter because I have repented. Now, read on( noting that grammar no be success)!!!

There is no need going to court on this one; it is a positive confession of faith on BATism!


Ik Muo, PhD. FCIB. Department of Business Administration, OOU, Ago-Iwoye. 08033026624

Like| Comment| Share

“Find a great mentor, someone who has already been through the many challenges of being an entrepreneur..” -Jodi Levine

Entrepreneurship in Practice: Cases, Challenges and Lessons By IK, MUO PHD is now available on Amazon, since 14/5/21. Click here to view  Available for order  +2348033026625 | Delivery: Worldwide





Comments