Missing Phone, Physical Stress, Emotional Turmoil & all that Ik Muo, PhD.


Thursday, July 11, started like any other day in the  Umuga axis of Ogbor-Hill, Aba, where I had gone to spend some time in my 4th home (Lagos, Ijebuode, Igbo-Ukwu & Aba). The weather was dull and I kept on ‘watching its face’ as I had planned to visit my maternal uncle, Ide Nwaogalanya Umeweni, at  the famous Port-Harcourt  road. I was there in May 2021and what  I saw was loathsome. As I reported then ,I really wept when I got to the great PH road.  The stretch of land which was once a road was at the same time a gully, a swimming pool, a slimy pond and  some elements of very ROUGH patches of earth and consequently, a haven for traffic . The driver had to swim through the waters, meander through peoples’ compounds off the road, cross the disused railway track and did other acrobatics to pass through the famous PH Road. The trip from Ogbor hill, which would have taken about 30 minutes in ordinary times, took 3hours’(Home-made ‘Ajalanisation’: Lagos to Ijebuode to IgboUkwu to Awka to Aba and to Enugu, May, 2021). I have heard that Otti’s magic-wand  had touched  that axis and I was eager to go and ‘eyemark’ so as to compare the former with the present. Around 11am, the weather appeared benign and when I confirmed that my uncle was in his office, I hit the road. I crisscrossed 6 ‘keke-stops’ before I got there, to the warm embrace of my host, who welcomed me with a plate  of roasted fish and a large bottle of water.  Sure, ‘the PH Road we used to see before, we shall see no more’( Exodus,14:13) and even though it was  rainy,  Julius Berger was at work. We discussed this and that, had lunch of ‘agidi’ and pepper-soup, took some pictures, and I left. I later took selfies in the new improved PH road, which I had planned to deploy to this writeup. At the second to the last keke-stop to my house, I alighted and crossed  to the other side of the road to buy some fruits from a local market and as I left the market, I noticed that my phone ‘has travelled’. I went back to the spot where I had just left  but there was  ‘no show’ and that was how I started 48 hours of  indescribable physical stress, emotional turmoil, 1001 capturing and recapturing  of my fingerprints and  being tossed ‘upandan’  by sundry fellows, trying to act important  and big in their offices.

The first thing I did was to advise myself to  calm-down because the phone had ‘travelled’ and  there was nothing I could do about it especially, since worrying would not solve the problem. I knew that  the phone would  only ‘return’ by the grace of God. I also prepared myself for the possibility of being phone-less and offline for a few days. This was not a big issue because there was a time my phone misbehaved and I abandoned  it for almost one week. I did not want  an ordinary phone to make shakara for me, and to control my life.  I had decided NEVER to get involved in online banking but during the  days of Emefieleism, I was persuaded in my own interest to ‘upgrade’ and so, I acquired an ATM card from Access Bank and the ALAT-app from Wema Bank. I have since seen why banks are always  persuading  and even coercing us, to embrace those  non-cash platforms: they make it is VERY EASY to spend money!!! One would just punch some figures and press ‘enter’ and the money, instead of entering, will disappear and in my case, whenever the debit alert reports eventually, my heart-beat would always become tumultuous as I wondered: ‘which one be this again’. And about three charges would follow, all for the benefit of the banks and those they are fronting for( like FIRS). So, I thought about what they might do with my 2 lines( MTN and GLO) and my accounts with online capabilities.

 It was late in the day but I dashed to Access bank  in the Ogor-Hill axis of Aba. The security man told me that they had closed but once I told him that I lost my phone( I don’t know whether they took it or whether I gave it to them), he let me in and they blocked my account, after assuring me that no transaction had passed through it  for the day.  I got to WEMA bank  at Azikiwe Road but the  security-men told me that they had closed for the day ( but some customers were still within the banking hall)and that they would not allow me in. I explained  my predicament and  the urgent need to block my account but they  instead requested for  my account number, which I reluctantly gave them. I argued with them that their responsibility-level  was below  what would happen if any money was stollen  from my account and that I wanted to see an officer, somebody  I would hold accountable ‘in case of incasity’, but they would not bulge.  Eventually, one of them came out to confirm  my name, an indication that he had actually interacted with a  customer-care officer.  That was reassuring but not sufficient. I was helpless and frustrated. I met another staff at the door and expecting a favourable response from him, I narrated my ordeal to him. He discussed in whispers with the security men and told me that there was no need to go inside. I asked him how he would feel if he went to a bank to lodge an account-threatening complaint and he was dismissed by security-men at the gate!  He responded that if I had gotten to their customer-care line, I would just be dismissed  online but I told him that there would be a record of the call, which was sufficient. I was there until the bank closed  two hours later and I was partly drenched in the process. I borrowed a phone from the staffer and called my family to inform them of my situation.

 

 Eventually, I got home and  learnt from my  beloved  that the phone was ringing initially without any response. That was about three hours since I noticed the loss and so, I believed that the phone would have fallen off from my pocket and was picked up much later by a passerby. The person in possession of the phone refused to respond to the calls  initially and eventually, switched it off and that was the end of the phone, Infinix Hot 12 Play( which kain play phone de do?). I hope you were not expecting to hear about  I_phone something! Actually, I had used it for a  long while; it had many scares and was due for retirement but … So, I  went to bed and I slept fully;  I did not allow the phone matter and the worry over  the probable misuse of my lines and tempering with my account to rob me of the needed sleep.

The following AM, the real wahala commenced.  I was at MTN office  shortly after 8am,where they  requested for my NIN and further informed me that  my NIN- linkage , which I successfully did years ago was ‘hanging’. I wondered   that was my fault.  Anyway, I went to NIN office, paid a fee of N2000 and started waiting. After a while I decided to optimize my time by going to FBN. At FBN,  I was informed that they had a policy of blocking any account whose owner had not come to withdraw money in person for a while ( This is a good one);and that I should exercise patient while it was reactivated, which might ‘take hours’. After a while, I decided to go back to NIN office where a long waiting game started. At a point I offered to trek to the Abuja office since it appeared that it would be faster than the online  verification option. Just before 12 noon,( 4 hours later), the feedback came and I received one miserable black and white printout( after paying N2000), paid for its lamination and left. I went to MTN, retrieved my line for a fee of N1000  and then to FBN, where I empowered myself financially and off to Glo. About I hour later, I retrieved my line for N2500 which included N1800 airtime, and left for Wema  Bank where  I confirmed that my account was actually blocked the previous. One young girl(looked more like a teenager) attended to me and my account was seamlessly unblocked.  Funny enough, I did not check my balance or revive my ALAT App. I still raised the issue of my experience of the previous day, reminding her that I had been a customer since 2004( and asked her where she was then!) and restressed the importance of attending t customers with  similar challenges even after the working hours, provided they were still in the office.

 I then left for the massive St Michaels GSM  Market at the center of the city and did the needful; and my lean pocket bled profusely. However, it was a lesser evil compared to  what wuld have happened if my accounts had been compromised . My youngest son was around and he helped me restore all restorable but I noticed that my GLO-line  did not reconnect to the internet. After all efforts failed, I left it at that. The following AM, which was Saturday, I went to GLO Office and met the lady with a welcoming  face who attended to me the previous day. I told her to be ready  to pay my transport and inconvenience allowance because she did not do it right the previous day. She apologized, sorted out what it was wrong and my lines came on live. I told her that even though I looked calm, I had the capacity  for trouble-making  but that I would  not showcase my trouble-making skills because of her pleasant dispositions. I got home and stayed indoors and in bed throughout, resting from the stress and strains of the past 48 hours.

 In the past 48 hours, my fingerprint was captured and recaptured  9 times( luckily,  the thing no de finish);. I boarded keke 34 times, spent about N10,000 on public transport and trekked about 5 kms in the process. On Sunday, 14/7/24, I loaded my MTN  line and noticed that they  finished the credit balance of about N3000 and borrowed some credit: a laughable sum of N188 only. Around 1pm I successfully used my ATM and noticed that  all was correct. Around 3pm the following day (15/724), I successfully reactivated my WEMA_ALAT and all was also correct. I did not lose any money but I lost ALL  the  information, data,  images  and videos stored in my phone. I have the practice of  using my phone as a transit camp for my documents before moving them to the appropriate  files in my laptop. Any information of interest to me: academic matters, insecurity, female dressing, educational issues, large-scale corruption, spousal violence, village matters, wicked jokes, political and economic realities, were stored temporarily on my phone. Of late however, I did not onboard those items into my laptop and as such, I lost an unquantifiable number of documents. I cannot even search for them because I cannot recall them.. Jesus wept!

 On Tuesday,  16/7/24, I decided to try my luck and returned to the MTN office to inquire if there was anyway of retrieving my information and data from my lost phone. The lady responded no-way, since there was no back-up. The reality FINALLY  and FULLY hit me. After a while, I requested another lady to help me undertake the back- up because of tomorrow but she said it was not her job but that I should meet those boys under multicoloured umbrella at the bus-stops. Jesus wept! She would have noticed   my facial expression of  disappointment and told me that she was busy and would not leave other customers to attend to me. But she would have told me to join the queue or to wait a bit. Anyway, I left. On Wednesday, 17/7/24, my son helped me to back-up the WhatsApp but I noticed that I had not received any calls since Friday,( 5 days) even though I was successfully calling others. By the time my wife and 4 others reported that all efforts to  speak to me on phone failed, I knew that matter still dey.

 The following day,(18/7/24), I went back to the MTN office and they said that the phone-thieves had activated call-reject on the line and it took them a minute to resolve. On my way out, I accosted  the  lady who told me it is not my duty yesterday, telling her that it was rude of her.  Rather than an apology, this lady walked out on me and that was when I SPARKED! One fellow in funny looking bleu and black attire came to act security man for me and I warned him to stay clear if he did not want to see a one-man riot-squad in action.  It was then that she explained that she was on-line and that the process was about to time-out.  She should have explained that to me earlier But I did not even believe her. Any way, I left This latest MTN visit increased the keke-stops by 6( a total of 40).

That is my story. When you see somebody who lost his or her phone,  just condole and console the person; because of the stress and strain and probable loss of funds. For me I just lost N200 but lost an unquantifiable quantum of information and data, the impact of which I cannot assess.

 PH road Ada, before and now!


 PH Road Aba, May, 2021

PH Road Now!


The Eagle has Landed.

Ihuowelle Qaurterly, an ALL-COLOUR community magazine based in Ihuowelle Village IgboUkwu has joined the physical media world. With incise reports in local, national and global.

Events and columns on Health and diet, sports, philosophy, real estates, government and governance, politics, travelog and Diasporan voices, you are ensured of quality contents and pleasurable read. It is published thrice yearly: April, August and December.

It goes for N5000 for delivery within Nigeria.  For delivery, subscription or advertisements, contact 08033026625 or 08037116817

Ik Muo, PhD. FCIB. Department of Business Administration, OOU, Ago-Iwoye. 08033026624

Like| Comment| Share

“Find a great mentor, someone who has already been through the many challenges of being an entrepreneur..” -Jodi Levine

Entrepreneurship in Practice: Cases, Challenges and Lessons By IK, MUO PHD is now available on Amazon, since 14/5/21. Click here to view  Available for order  +2348033026625 | Delivery: Worldwide

 




Comments